Welcome to our day 2 of Quarantine Cooking.
One of my favorite bread recipe to make in the oven is the baguette.
- 900 gr of bread flour
- 100 gr of whole wheat or spelt flour
- 650 gr of water
- 20 gr of salt
- 10 gr of instant dry yeast
- The day before mix the water and yeast with a whisk. Add the flours and salt and mix on the low speed for 3 minutes.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Repeat the 3 minutes mix and 10 minutes rest twice. Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let it rest in the fridge over night.
- The day of, take the dough out of the fridge and let the dough warm up to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 550 F. Place a metal pan in the oven for the steam.
- Cut the dough to 250 gr dough balls and shape into baguettes.
- Place the baguettes to proof in the baker's couche for 1 to 2 hours. The baguettes are ready when you gently push with your finger and barely bounce back.
- Boil about 1/4 of cup of hot water and have ready by the oven
- Transfer the baguettes to a long peel and score the baguettes, 3 to 4 cuts running almost parallel to the baguettes
- Load the baguettes into the oven and put about 1/4 of a cup of hot water into the metal pan. Close the insulated door, damper and cast iron door of the oven.
- Bake for 12 to 18 minutes depending on temperature of the oven and desired color of the baguette.