Three Kings Cake
- 5g (1 ½ tsp.) Yeast
- 2g (½ tsp.) Salt
- 50ml (1/4 cup) Lukewarm Milk
- 250g (2 cups) Flour
- 30g (2 ½ tbsp.) Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 105g (1 stick) Butter
- 1 Egg Yolk for Egg Wash
- 25g (2 tbsp.) Crystallized Sugar
- Mix 50g (1/3 cup) of flour with the yeast.
- Pour in the warm milk and mix well.
- Allow the sponge to rest for 20 minutes.
- Add eggs and sugar to the sponge and whisk until smooth. In a separate bowl, mix the remaining flour and the salt.
- Pour the sponge into the flour mixture and stir until all of the flour has been incorporated. Allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and sticky. Gradually add the butter and knead for 5 more minutes.
- Shape into a ball and place onto a buttered sheet pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours, or overnight.
- Fire your oven to 400 F.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator, and punch a hole in the center while the dough is still cold, until you form a crown about 8" in diameter.
- Proof at room temperature for 2 hours, or until it doubles in size.
- Once the oven has reached 400F, allow the fire to die down completely, and remove ashes.
- Mix the egg yolk with 30ml (2 tbsp.) of water and brush over the crown. Sprinkle with the Crystallized sugar and bake with insulated door in place for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.